Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Nobel Peace Prize

Today I got an unexpected treat.
I went to the meeting of the PWC, this club I am a member of. It's a women's club for English speakers in Oslo and surrounding areas that meets once a month. It's a nice social event with refreshments and we generally also have a speaker come talk to us about something of interest to us as women, expats or resident Norwegians.

Today we had a really great speaker. Her name is Inger Marie Ytterhorn and she is one of the five appointed by Parliament committee members on the Nobel Peace Prize Committee! I can't tell you how honored I feel to have been able to meet her and listen to her experiences on the Committee and have her tell us how the Peace Prize Laureates are chosen. It was really fabulous.

Every year I have tried to go into Oslo on the day the Prize is awarded. I really feel like it is an historical event that should be noted. And how cool to live right here where it is awarded and be in the middle of it all! So, to get to meet a member of the Committee, one of only five folks in all the world who choose the recipient of such a prestigious prize, is quite remarkable. And they are the ONLY ones who choose, no one else has anything to do with it, and their word is final.

Wow, I don't think I am explaining it right, but I really feel jazzed to have met her and gotten an inside scoop on the workings of the Nobel Committee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!