Sunday, December 25, 2005

free turkey!

Merry Christmas y'all! Its a gorgeous sunny day here in Austin. I'm sitting at the end of my front sidewalk, towards the street, and yes I'm stealing the neighbor's wireless yet again. I consider it a Christmas present. I'm gonna leave them a present, like....

some turkey? because Oh My God y'all, we (my brother and I) have enough turkey to literally (and I do mean literally) feed twenty people. And I'm not so much wanting to eat enough for 10 all by myself, so I'm willing to share. See, his work does this thing where every Christmas they bring in an 18 wheeler truck full of food and they give every employee a full Christmas dinner spread. I mean turkey, mashies, stuffing, a bushel of oranges, stuff to make pies with, EVERYTHING. Like a couple hundred bucks worth of food. If you don't want turkey for Christmas, I guess you are kind of hosed.

So my brother brings the turkey with him to Austin...and it's HUGE. It's 25 pounds. And there are two of us. So I packed that sucker in the oven at 8am this morning. I stuffed it with whatever i had (an orange for some flavor, some onion powder and some sage and italian seasonings, because I've only got three spices in the house at this moment: garlic, onion powder and italian seasoning) And that giant bird is now smelling up almost the entire neighborhood!

It will be interesting to make stuffing, mashed taters, corn and gravy with a minimum of pots, but I'm creative, so we'll see how it goes.
In the meantime, while it's cooking, I've got some stuff to do in the house. organizing and trashing and so on, removing nails from walls, and shelf paper from shelves. Ugh. Steve the Painter comes tomorrow to give the inside the grand treatment. I can't wait til it's done. I picked all warm taupes and camel colors. Should rock. Though I will miss the black and pink bathroom. But I guess the funk must go in the name of financial stability......

Chuck, my bro, is in the front yard washing the car. He's as obsessive about clean cars as Joan Crawford was about clean house.

And yes, there is now a "for lease" sign in my front yard. It kind of freaks me out, because you hear so many rental horror stories, but I just have to trust in God and Jeff my realtor and friend, and hopefully we will get some good folks into our little housie......

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!!!

(or whatever the heck you want to call it so you won't get mad at me for being either a) too politically correct or b) not politically correct enough. I think this whole "merry Christmas happy Holidays" furor is pretty damn dumb, but hey, it's America and we do like to obsess on the small things.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!