Saturday, May 12, 2007

eurovision tonight!

I am still having problems with Haloscan, so I apologize if the comments won't work or if yours doesn't show up even if you DO manage to leave one. I really don't know what's up, and I can't figure out how to fix it, so I might end up doing the unthinkable and switching to (gasp) Blogger commenting. That is last resort, however.

As a way to assuage my pain, I am gonna get SO drunk tonight, for it is Eurovision Song Contest, and we are having a party. A Fancy Dress party. As in, come dressed a la Eurovision past, present or imagined.

I won't tell you what we are dressing up as, but will surprise you with it after the fact.

The semi finals were on Thursday night, and both my favorite choices were eliminated. I liked Denmark, and Switzerland. It seems that the Eastern Europeans (eg., the newer entries to the EU) came out in force on the phone voting and voted out all the western European countries (eg., the EU 'old guard'.) Eurovision is VERY political, believe it or not. And after last year's win by Lordi, I am sure we will get alot of Monster Bands this year. It seems to be a trend that the previous years' winning style is always copied.

Hence Switzerland's entry: a song called "Vampires Are Alive". Monster themed indeed. Here's a sample of the lyrics.

Vampires are alive
The legends have to survive
We'll never come undone
And we will be forever young

I am a vampire I'm a slave
A slave to the daylight, hence my grave
In the darkness, in the shadows
Here I am
I want you to be be forever mine
Together until the end of time
Like a nightmare, neverending
Let me change your world

What I liked about it was even though the song is all about vampires, there was a definite Broadway or even Disney on Ice feel about the whole thing. No dark Apoptygma Berzerk or Sisters of Mercy vibe, but sort of shiny and bright and poppy. Like if Buffy went glam and did a Broadway show, but forgot the funny and insightful Joss Whedon lyrics.
They didn't make the finals.

Oh and then there was Denmark. A giant drag queen in a feathered headdress. I loved it, not the least because she had boys with feathers dancing around her. She actually had a great voice, however, and hit high notes way better than I ever could. (Not that that means much. I don't do high notes well at all.) But they are out too.

As always Britain will be represented. They are automatically in the finals, and this year, we get....SCOOCH!


They look just like RyanAir flight attendants. Naughty flight attendants...watch the part where she does the explanations of the exits and how to fasten your seatbelt. Comic Gold, people, Comic Gold.

Now you see why I get wasted for Eurovision, right? You kind of have to to be able to listen to music like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!