Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Your Tex-Pat, currently living in the Land of Suck

So let's recap the past week and a half shall we?

Shingles. A burglary. Yesterday I had mad nasty food poisoning. I spare you the details on that one, ok? But that's why I didn't post yesterday. I still have not had solid foods.

And now?

We have to move.

Yeah, uhuh. And not anywhere interesting, like to Dubai or England or something, but somewhere else here in the Oslo area. I haven't made a big secret of the fact that I am ready to get out of here. Between the prices and the long winters,(and the petty crime!) it's just not my place. I came here for three years, and that is up this summer. Time to move on, I figure. Nothing against Norway, but I am by birthright a warm weather gal AND a bargain shopper, so you can see how I may not fit in well in a place that is the opposite of my basic make-up, it being a liberal society notwithstanding.

So, yeah, we have to find a place to move into by First July. To say I am vastly annoyed would be an understatement. I seriously want to be just moving back to Austin, it has been in the very forefront of my mind for a while now. I REALLY want to work again, I have it all mapped out what I want to do in Austin and for whom, and boy it would be nice to be near my friends and family again. Oh so nice. But, and look at me sacrifice all for love here, I have decided that I am, basically, in for a penny, in for a pound, and will stick it out for another year, if that is to be the case.

SO, this being an undeniable new facet of my life, I have decided a few things that might go a little way to make things for me here more satisfactory.

Mainly, I need to get out of the suburbs. I am not a suburban girl. While the view is nice, I can't stand looking out the window at that pretty view and feeling like life is all over there and here I am in my gilded cage on the mountaintop, missing it all. I feel trapped here, and need to get somewhere where it is simpler for me to get around, where I can go get a coffee in the morning, maybe meet someone for lunch, and not have to drive or walk two miles to do it.

So, we are moving into central Oslo. (Possible central Asker, there is a flat there that we are lusting over.) We are going to get a flat and do the "living in a European city" thing. Rich is doing it just to shut me up, he is happy in the 'burbs, but he knows how miserable I have been, so he is falling in line with the plans. He also know that a happy wife makes for a happy husband..... I will sell my car to help with keeping costs down. That should save a good chunk of change in insurance alone. It will be the first time since I was 16 that I did not have a car. That is a freaky thought.

There has been alot going on the past few weeks. I hope it quiets down a bit. Well, quiets down until we have to do all the moving crap. I'll be having a yard sale in June, people! Get your tickets to Norway for it will be one helluva sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!