Friday, August 04, 2006

today's walk

On today's walk (7 miles) I ventured a bit farther afield than normal and found a sign with a map describing various historical routes around the area. It looked interesting so I detoured along some of the paths that the map showed.

So, I ended up walking along trails that dated from the 16th century, the 18th century and I also went briefly along a Viking trail. I passed a few VERY old farms that had their roots in Viking times. Since Norway is such a hilly and rocky country, most of the arable land has been that way for centuries, and it's mostly protected as such. If it all got built on, there would be no land left for farming. Something like only 10-15% of Norway is farmable. That's why so many farms are so very old. Once you find an old farm, you tend to also find other historical stuff. So, along this particular walk, there were burial mounds and old stone walls. There were also some old lime kilns, those are common in the area. Horses were grazing in the fields, fighting off the horrible hordes of late summer flies, and the goats came up to the fence to give me inquisitive looks and blat at me. The goats are kept behind an electric fence and I am sorely tempted to touch it just to see HOW electric it is. Every time I go by it, I have to restrain myself from being a dumbass. You know, that person who hits the big red button that says "Do Not Push This Button"? I am the button pusher.

Artists used to live around there, too, and there is a road that goes through what is known as the Artist's Valley. There is a museum there, a house museum and art gallery, dedicated to one particular artist who lived thereabouts. It is the most beautiful house. It's decorated in so many styles, from medieval to 50's kitsch. It's kind of my dream house: funky, artistic, beautiful and colorful, yet also tasteful and comfortable. The front door is a huge carved wooden affair, very grand, but it enters into a simple frame home that I found to be very lovable. I love that dichotomy of styles.

The garden of the artist's home is modeled on a French garden, and it is exquisite. Full of fruit trees and little fountains, places to sit and think, wispy willow trees wafting their shade to and fro and hidden pathways that you have to wander down, just to see how it ends.. At the end of the garden is a view of the fjord looking towards town. I am always blown away by how you can just be walking somewhere and then "pow" the view just opens up and you can see all the way to Sweden on a clear day. Today was just such a clear day. Hello Sweden!

After the walk I was in a really good mood so I went and lifted some weights. I saw a sign at the gym advertising for a belly dance class.....so I think I am going to sign up for it. I've always wanted to do that, I know Bookhart and I always meant to do it together, and this one is cheap and is only four lessons, so if I suck at it or hate it, well, at least I've tried. The class will be in Norwegian, which will be an additional challenge, but I think I understand enough to get through and seriously, it's a visual thing so I will just do whatever the teacher does. I'm a good mimic when it comes to dance. I think the schedule works with my upcoming travel and work.

Then I came home and am STILL waiting for Project Runway to upload the latest Episode of Season three. Come ON, people, throw me a frickin' BONE here, willya? I'm dying!

I need a beer. Badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!