Thursday, August 25, 2005

All the cool kids are doin' it.

It seems lately that all my fave blogging pals are writing posts about books. Well, ok, Bookhart and Badger have. I'm a sucker for peer pressure. Well, that's good enough for me, so forthwith, I present:

Books in my bedside "To Be Read" basket. (Though I have already read some and have noted this where appropriate.)

Sea Room, Adam Nicolson-
This guy owns a whole island off the coast of Scotland. He writes about it, archeologically, geologically, historically, etc. Really interesting. (Finished)
Himalaya, Michael Palin- Yes, he of the Python fame. His travelogues ROCK. I read (and saw) Sahara, and Himalaya is in the same vein. (Halfway)
Five Sisters, James Fox- About the Langhorne Sisters of Virginia. I love stories about well-bred debutantes. One became an Astor, one became THE Gibson girl. they all did well in the marriage market s around the turn of the century. (Halfway)
Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser- Haven't gotten to it yet, I'm a bit nervous, as have been told it will turn me off all fast food and then what do I do when I am starving and there is nothing else about? (Not started)
Confederates in the Attic, Tony Horwitz- About folks who are in to Civil War re-enactments. (Finished)
The Moon's a Balloon; Bring On the Empty Horses, David Niven- Two of my all time favorite autobiographies. David Niven may well have been a better writer than an actor. If you haven't read his bios, run buy them and laugh your ass off. GREAT STUFF! (Re-reads)
Women Who Run With The Wolves, Clarissa Pinkola Estes- This was recommended by my therapist, before I moved from Austin. I have yet to get around to it. It just sounds a bit overly New Age and sincere to me. Yeah, yeah, I am a strong woman, whatever. (Not
started.)
D.V.- Diana Vreeland- Diana Vreeland is my Goddess. This is her autobiography. If I could meet anyone in time, it would be her. (And QE the first.) (Re-Read) (Frequently)
The Kristin Lavransdatter Series, Sigrid Undset- I'm in Norway, I'm supposed to read them. Haven't, yet. Should get around to it.
Culture Shock! A Wife's Guide, Robin Pascoe- A book for the "trailing spouse". Yes, expat self-help. It's all about how not to kill your husband for dragging you to yet another goddamn country where you can't get monterrey jack cheese and you feel like a useless lump of shit. Oh did I say that? Me? Bitter? Nah. I read the book. I'm over it. Until next move. (Great book for expats, btw.)
Bill Bryson anything. Really, I don't care. If he writes it, I read it. I keep them by my bedside, whenever I need to laugh I read a chapter of anything.
The Bar Sinister, Linda Berdoll- VERY RACY sequel to Pride and Prejudice. I absolutely love how she explains exactly WHY Mr. Darcy is so quiet and uncommunicative (it's because of, um, an excess of masculinity) and her depiction of the unfortunate death of Mr. Collins. (finished, will re-read)
The Princess Bride, William Goldman- One of my all time favorite books as a kid, I just bought it and will re-read it.
Perdita, Sarah Gristwood- About a mistress of the Prince Regent of England. I am fascinated with the Regency period in England. She, Perdita, was an actress, mistress, and a writer. Died young, very modern thinker. (Halfway)
Guilty Pleasures, Laurell K. Hamilton- A mystery/action novel about Vampires. The first in the Anita Blake series. I just got turned on to it. Vampires. Sex. Blood. Neato!(Finished.) (Have more by her to read.)
Dance With the Devil, Sherrilyn Kenyon-More Vampires. Hey, I like Vampires, ok? So bite me.

Just so's ya know, my all time fave read is The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. One of my tattoos is even in honor of that book. I am, indeed, a geek.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!