Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A library card, a computer and an annoying strange keyboard

I'm not a very accurate typist on the best of days, Fast, yes, accurate, not so much, so imagine me using a completely strange keyboard at the library in Norway and you can imagine the fuck ups that will follow. >Plus, wierd letters keep sneaking their way into my writing, like these: Ø Å Æ

Anyhow, hello everyone, I'm back. Well, sort of. We still don't have net in the new place, but I could not STAND the silence anymore and got myself a library card and here I am using the bibrary computer. Um, library. Jeez.

It's been a very busy couple of weeks. Not even two weeks, actually, but feels like it. We are now in the new flat and it is AWESOME. We love it. It has so many windows and is so bright that even *I* have to close the curtains every so often. We've had a heat wave here, and it was mighty hot for a few days before i went to England. (And yes, I mean Texas hot, like, 90 degrees plus, and no AC and on the 5th floor, it was pretty damn hot, y'æall.)

Two days after the move in I took off and left a very miffed Rich with a shit load of boxes and no idea where his underwear was. Lesley and I went to Sussex, the South Downs and we had a wonderful time. >I finally got to see Brighton and the Brighton Pavilion, somethihng I> have always wanted to do. I spent and afternoon in Chichester, a lovely Cathedral city with a big Roman history. I also got to have a nice wander around Lewes (pronounced Lewis) and saw the Anne of Cleves House, the priory ruins, gorgeous gardens and the High Street on which many 15th century and older buildings remain. Lesley is so lucky to have grown up in a place like that. Quintessential English towns, the kind that every American dreams of. Picturesque as hell.

Lesley and I managed, also and miraculously, to get on a tour of the Harvey's Brewery in Lewes. Normally there is a three year wait (yes, three years) to get to go on the tour, but my combination of forward Texanness ("Hey, is there a tour this week?") and the fact that I used to dabble in brewing and so could talk semi-knowledgably about hops and yeast, plus my showing a little cleavage, and hey presto! we made it on to the tour that night. SWEET! The tour was better than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, cuz it was BEER! And FREE BEER at that, as we got to hang out in the hospitality room afterwards and guzzle a few dozen half pints of ale, stout and bitter. The men (85% men on the tour) were amazed that I, a Texan woman, not only liked beer, but that I liked GOOD STRONG ENGLISH beer, and I think I single handedly made up for many of the wrongs made by George Bush, Budweiser and Coors in that one evening. (Ihave a new title and career aspiration, now. I am an International Beer Ambassador. I will create world peace one brewery at a time.) I had a quite nice time, sitting on my stool in the hospitality room, as men surrounded me and catered to my glass with great attention and dedication. (They might have been playing "get the Texan chick drunk" but whatever, I was in my element!) (Rich, I thought of you longingly the whole time.) The Master Brewer, Miles Jenner, is a 5th generation brewer, and you could just tell how much he loves his job and his life. It was truly inspiring.

I got back on Saturday night, but not before having scored the new Harry Potter at the airport on my way out. I started it on the plane, but realized I had to pace myself or I would have it finished the next day. I managed, painfully and barely, to draw out the reading of it until last night. And, wow, the ending made me cry. It was so affecting and powerful. I won't spoil it for you, if you have not read it, but Harry is pretty much all growed up now, and has a lot to face. Really great book.

That's all for now. Since the library is so close to our new flat, I can try and pop over here for updates until out internet gets switched on again, Thursday, they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!