Sunday, June 07, 2009

Lazy Sunday

Lazy weekend actually.

After a busy few weeks, it's been nice to have a quiet weekend. And one which I have patently told myself I will not get stressed out by the worries we are facing of late. I am just...not worrying. I am stress teflon, watch it roll off me.

Friday night Rich went out to the pub for the usual Friday night activities. I stayed home and took a three hour nap.

Last night Rich went and saw the new Terminator, which I was patently uninterested in seeing. I'm not a big fan of sci fi movies in general (excepting the most recent Star Trek and things with a humorous bent) so it was a no-brainer to stay home and have a nice quiet evening. Before Rich went off to the movie, however, we had a very nice grilled loin of filet mignon with a fresh mushroom risotto drizzled with a lovely cherry balsamic vinegar glaze Grant gave me a few weeks ago. That cut of meat was divine and the risotto turned out very nicely, the balsamic vinegar giving it an interesting edge. We drank a rosé with it, because a) that's all we had and b) I like rosé and am very interested in the great improvements made in that varietal over the past few years.

After Rich went to his movie, I watched a dvd of "I Could Never Be Your Woman", a really funny and heartwarming movie with Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd. Do yourself a favor, rent it buy it download it, whatever you have to do. Michelle Pfeiffer was absolutely luminous and the chemistry between the two main actors was potent. I loved the perspective of a 40 something woman that she so eloquently demonstrated (though isn't she closer to 50?). I was disappointed in the DVD extras, however, as I was hoping for bloopers or something, but there was just a director's commentary and some deleted scenes. Amy Heckerling, who has made many movies that I absolutely adore, has the most morose Jersey/Brooklyn voice I have ever heard, and she made what could have been a great commentary sound like a funeral. Perhaps the actors should have done the commentary.....oy vey.

I got up at noon today. Had a wierd dream about a spaceship landing in Sweden, with me running down the street chasing it. I was a really good runner, in the dream I remember how good it felt, like I was flying. Oh and I was carrying a pillow. WTF?

This afternoon I made my own vanilla syrup for my coffees. (Yes, I am addicted to vanilla coffee. That, with my rosé addiction, means that coffee and wine snobs can both bite me on the ass. I like what I like and I won't apologize.)

I've been spending about 80 nok a week on two small bottles of vanilla syrup, one for the office, one for home, and decided that it was getting out of hand, this being austerity month and all. So I bought a vanilla bean and sliced it in half and simmered it with equal parts sugar and water and voila! vanilla syrup! But oh so much better than what I have been buying and at 1/4 of the price. And I have the other half of the vanilla bean for the next batch, plus the bean I used today I found out I can dry and pop into a jar with sugar and have...vanilla sugar! I am rather amazed at the miraculous vanilla bean. If I ever wandered into a forest of vanilla trees (bushes?) I think I might die from the smell of it. How can one small stringy brown bean smell so heavenly? (Hmm...can I bathe with it?)

Tonight I think I will make chicken tacos. I was going to go for a walk but it keeps raining on and off and it's chilly outside, so....fuck it. Lazy weekend. (Jaye, I am in solidarity with you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!