Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A thing I won't miss about Norway

ACTUAL TEXT from an email I sent the guy who sits in the office next to mine today:

"Hey T---, something is really stinky in your office so I closed the door. Did you leave a hamster in your bag and forget to feed it?


Anyhow, there’s something whiffy in there. It’s the second day I smelled it, so I’m not sure what’s up. Are you at the conference?"

HIS ACTUAL RESPONSE:

"Oh!
It is the rakfisk I got from Ulf. It is basically rotten fish, but it tastes nice!!!

I suggest you just close the door today. I am in Holland, but back tomorrow."

Rotten fish in the office! I won't miss that! It smells like hell. I have a candle lit to try and ward off the stench from my office.  (This by the way, is the second time I have had this experience. I once was knocked over by the stench from one in the small fridge on our floor, where we keep snacks and milk for our coffee. I threw it away, as NORMAL people do when something smells that bad. The owner of the dead thing dug it out of the garbage and chastised me nicely for throwing away his very expensive rotten horrible smelly fish, explaining that it is a delicacy. I just couldn't believe something that stinky was allowed in the office.)

There's other stuff I won't miss about Norway, but I gotta admit, their Christmas foods are very high on the list. I am NOT a fan of traditional Norwegian Christmas dishes.



5 comments:

  1. My father always cooked up a little traditional Norwegian Christmas food. The baked goods were awesome, the meat, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello-

    I was wondering how to contact you by email. You can delete this comment - but I hope you can send me over an email as I have a question about your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kristie, you can email me at karlagodwoman at yahoo dot com

      Delete
  3. Too bad they don't have similar signs out like they do in SE Asia- "No durian allowed".

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!