Friday, July 09, 2010

So much to talk about, so little time

I've been back from the US for a week now, and I hit the ground running.

It's been busy busy. Luckily the weather has been GORGEOUS, just warm enough to not need a jacket or sweater, but cool enough at night for good sleepin', which has been good to catch up on sleep after the jet lag.

I've spent my time catching up with work, friends, chores, errands and housework. It's been busy. A lot of people are on vacation (July is 'felles ferie" time, or the time when just about EVERYONE goes on holiday) so there aren't many people around, but those who are are looking for stuff to do.

On July 4th we went to the festivities at Frogner park. I never really enjoy them, to be honest. Too many people, same old stuff every year, and all those Americans everywhere. This year was no different, but with the added pain of an "Idol" style singing contest. And, it was PACKED, which meant that the food ran out early. The food is really the only reason I go to this annual event, it's a chance to get food that you don't normally get any other time or place in Norway....but apparently everyone ELSE has cottoned on to that, because the food was out by 1 pm (the party started around 11, I think.) I barely managed to get a few ribs when they ran out and just started handing out plates of the leftovers. Pretty sure the food vendors were overwhelmed at the numbers of meat hungry people.

My friend Elaina was stuck with overpriced frozen yogurt. At least I got some meat. The main thing that's a bummer about the 4th of July party here is that it never gets dark enough for fireworks. Not the party's fault, obviously, it's just that the sun doesn't set until well, ever, really, this time of year, so a quintessential part of the tradition doesn't happen. No fireworks, no bright lights, just the teasing smell of bbq with no 'happy ending'.

This week was all about work and catching up on stuff. The big gossip has been about the damned German octopus, Paul, who has an uncanny ability to choose the winning World Cup team. Personally, I think Paul is best served as calamari with a nice squeeze of lemon, because i really wanted Germany to get to the finals, but hey, whatever. Damned octopus.

Today I had some excitement when I found out the Robert Plant is coming back to Oslo in October. Those of you who know me, know I am so in love with him, he is the only celebrity that I would actually go goofy over if I ever met him. I love his music, all of it, and I love his curiosity of life and the world, I just ADMIRE the dude and think he has had the most amazing life. Anyhow, I immediately got tickets to his show, and am absolutely PSYCHED about it. It will be in a smaller venue, not a giant stadium. Imagine, me in a room with only about 1500 other people, with Robert Plant. Wow.

One very good thing about Norway, I have gotten to see some shows here in smaller clubs that would just not EVER be possible in the US. I mean, I was 6 feet from Lyle Lovett. I hope to be the same distance from Mr. Plant. I have the tickets safely waiting for October all safe and folded away.

In other news, I've been riding a bike to work when I can. There's this company that rents out bikes for a nominal yearly fee. You can then just grab an available bike (if they are available, that being the catch, as some dumbasses keep stealing them. This would be like stealing a park bench or something, just stupid.) and then pedal your happy ass to wherever you want to go, drop off the bike at the other end, and be done with it. It's been FUN! I can't always get a bike, even though the drop off is literally right outside my front door, but when one is available, I just hop on and ride down to work. Takes me about 5 minutes to get there. I really hadn't ridden a bike in 10 years or so, but it's true what they say, it's just like riding a bike, you don't forget how to do it!!!

I think this bike idea is so great, they really have the system well thought out. It's a serious bummer that stupid people have to ruin it for everyone else by stealing the bikes. I mean, they are practically free, so why steal?

I'll see if I can get one this weekend for a bit of a ride. Maybe Rich will come too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!