Saturday, June 13, 2009

I can see again! And Happy Birthday Honey!

(But first...I just heard an gorgeous rendition of "Amazing Grace" on a tuba. There's a fair going on in the plaza downstairs and there's a brass band playing. I didn't know a tuba could be so soulful.)

Ok, so this morning, on the day of Rich's birth (happy birthday honey) I went to get my eyes checked. I might have mentioned in a past post, how my eyes have suddenly turned 40 (right before my eyes, haha) and it's seriously screwing with me.

I kind of hate that, really, like, you turn 40 and it all goes to shit? Anyhow....

So I went to a place across the road and the eye guy spent an hour and a half with me. He was like the Mad Scientist of Eyes and he explained all this wierd stuff about eyesight and how it changes and what happens and dominant vs non-dominant eyes and physics and all sorts of shit. It was really cool, I totally got carried up by his enthusiasm for the topic and I learned an awful lot, actually.

My fear was that I would have to start wearing bifocals, something I REALLY don't want to do. Instead, he said that basically all we need to do is lower my prescription a bit (my glasses were feeling too strong lately and I was getting headaches and a bit of dizziness) and that will help me focus better on close up things. AND he put me back into some contacts that I think are actually going to work. Comfortable? Oh my God you have no idea. Revelation! News flash! I can wear contacts again!

He gave me two different prescriptions for my eyes, one for a higher power (-5.5) in my right eye and a lower power (-4.75) for left. The idea being, the left one will focus on reading and the right on distance and voila! I can see AND read. He also said that my glasses had been over-perfecting my sight so I was actually seeing better than 20/20, so by losing a bit of distance I'd gain focus and readability again. Which is totally sweet, as I was starting to feel cross eyed lately.

I'm rather psyched. Think of all the fun sunglasses I can wear again!

So, Happy Birthday Rich, I give you the gift of seeing my eyes again! (He always preferred me without glasses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!