Wednesday, October 15, 2008

News Junkie

Here's a list of the podcasts I download daily.

NPR:

Day to Day
Fresh Air
Story of the Day
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
Other stuff:
BBC NewsPod
A Prairie Home Companion
KUT Morning NewsPod
NBC Nightly News
ABC World News
Nightline
Russell Brand
Stephen Fry's Podgrams
This American Life
Travel With Rick Steves

I don't really have enough time to listen to them all each day. I have developed a new routine in the morning where I plug my iPod into the little speakers Rich gave me and listen to NBC, ABC and Nightline news in the morning as I get ready for the day. On the train to work I listen to BBC NewsPod. If I have time and the frigging trains are late, I catch one or two NPR Stories of the Day as well.

I save the light stuff for the trip home, so maybe a nice dose of Prairie Home Companion and KUT NewsPod. My absolute favorite is Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, which has made me laugh out loud on the train a few times (sign of insanity). I recently started listening to Stephen Fry's Podgrams, and holy crap are those fun, but he doesn't do them very often so I sort of save them.

It's all added up to make me a total news junkie. ABC and NBC news is always from the night before, but I feel pretty up to date. The NPR gives me a break from the doom and gloom of mainstream US news. It's gotten to the point that when I read the news on the internet, I'm all, "Yeah yeah I know that already gimme somethin' I DON'T know!"

Can anyone recommend me more podcasts in the news/entertainment/wry commentary/comedian vein? None of those one minute ones, I hate those, but something in the 15 minute to one hour range.

I guess my chicken is defrosted now. Time to roast the bird (thank you French Laundry recipe!) It's a chilly wet evening, good for a nice chicken and stuffing, with lit candles and a good book. I've given in and bought the Stephanie Meyer vampire series, which I am on the third one. It's ok, not great, but ok. I have some problems with the main character always being led by men and doing very little for herself. Show some backbone honey. But maybe she gets stronger as it continues.

Harry Potter is still better by a landslide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!