Sunday, March 30, 2008

One of my favorite photos ever.


monks in upper pak ou cave, originally uploaded by karlakp.

I'm uploading some photos from previous travels to my Flickr.  

This one is from a trip to Laos/Thailand/Cambodia I took in March/April 2006. In Laos we went to these caves along the Mekong, Pak Ou, where they put retired Buddhas (you are not supposed to keep damaged Buddhas in your house).

These caves were filled with THOUSANDS of Buddhas placed there over hundreds of years. AMAZING. of course now some bastards are stealing them, but there are still so many left.

Anyhow, there are two caves, the lower cave and the upper cave. The Upper cave is a fair hike away, and very dark. When I was in there I just sort of set my camera on a rock and pointed it at these two monks looking at the Buddhas in low light...and the picture turned out surprisingly beautiful (to me), rather haunting and mysterious. I love the light.

Whenever I am a bit down, as I am on this rainy dreary SHITTY day, I look at this photo and it reminds me of the really cool things I have done. The light and the colors somehow warm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!