Friday, April 15, 2005

Friday Q: Broken

FQ TOPIC: Broken.

FQ1: What are some items of yours that are broken or needing repair right now?
My car is not broken but needs a bit of maintenance after the long winter.
The house back home could use some work, but that will just have to wait, though it keeps me up at night stressing about it sometimes. (I envision it rotting away from mildew, mold and the jungle-like Texas humidity. Stupid, I know, but there it is.)
My espresso maker will not stay on unless I duct tape the power button down. Small but persistent annoyance. Other than that, we are in pretty good shape.

FQ2: When something breaks, do you tend to live with it broke, repair it yourself, have a professional fix it, or throw it out?
Depends, obviously, on the item. Large "white goods" you have fixed. Small appliances you toss, as getting them fixed costs more than a new one. I generally get things fixed fairly quickly, broken stuff just adds chaos to an otherwise already chaotic lifestyle.

FQ3: Is there a childhood toy, family heirloom, or some other special item which was broken that you'd very much like to have un-broken?
Not many family heirlooms to speak of, all having been destroyed either by Hurricane Camille in the late 60's on my dad's side, or by WWII on my mom's. I bet my older family members wish they could have some stuff back, though.
When I was a kid I remember losing a very beautiful ring down the bathtub drain It was an emerald-cut amethyst set in gold, that my grandmother (Dad's mom) gave me. It was quite old, and one of the few survivors of Camille. I cried for days. I cried more once my parents found out what I did!

FQ DESTROYER: What is something you would like to break intentionally, assuming you could get away with it?
All those damned "automatisk traffik kontrole" thingies around here. Norway has posted these automatic radar-generated speed traps everywhere. They take a picture of your car if you are even one kilometer over the speed limit, and you get a whopping huge ticket in the mail. ($800 for a speeding ticket, anyone? Yeah, that is a usual amount.) Considering that speed limits are so freaking LOW here, and my car is FAST, it is a major pain in the ass. I can drive practically around the whole of Norway and never make it out of third gear.
If I could also 'accidentally' break an ATM so that it suddenly started gushing out cash, and nobody saw it happen and I could sneak away with untold amounts of filthy lucre, that would be nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. No spam gets through. Don't try it. I Love comments from real people though! Thanks!